LABCA is a Board Member of the California Breast Cancer Organizations (CABCO) and an organizational member of the National Breast Cancer Coalition (NBCC). Together, we have made significant strides in the war against breast cancer. Unfortunately, much remains to be done. To date, breast cancer still has no known cause, prevention, or cure.
LABCA is involved in the fight to eradicate breast cancer on many levels. Our graduates of the National Breast Cancer Coalition (NBCC) Project Lead Program serve as consumer advocates and are seated with the scientific community to make decisions regarding allocation of research funding. To date, LABCA Board members have served as consumer advocates for:
- The Department of Defense (DOD) Breast Cancer Research Program
- The California Breast Cancer Research Program (BCRP)
- The California Cancer Registry
- The USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Memorial Care Breast Cancer Research Group (Clinical Trials)
- DoD Era of Hope Conferences
- Attending NBCC's Project Lead course. As a consumer advocate, you will be prepared to participate with scientists and researchers on review boards. To obtain more information go to NBCC's web site or contact NBCC at 1-800-622-2838.
LABCA's community involvement includes participation in a wide variety of programs and community events such as the Revlon/Run/Walk. This event promotes community involvement and allows us to share resources and educational materials with the community. LABCA also participates in the California Breast Cancer Organizations Annual Lobby Day at a state level and, nationally, at the NBCC Annual Advocacy Conference and Lobby Day in Washington, DC.
You can become involved by:
- Contacting LABCA for upcoming events
- Assisting in setting and staffing booths
- Providing administrative support